School holidays are in full swing on the Rock Farm. The boys have been turning petrol into noise on their motorbikes, building tree houses in the gum trees, and playing in the dirt. They have also been learning a few other skills such as fencing, planting trees, repairing said motorbikes and fixing broken water pipes.
The holidays have also been a wonderful opportunity to catch up with friends and family. This, in conjunction with a series of extremely hot days, has slowed the normal rate of progress on the Rock Farm, and that isn’t a bad thing. We have enjoyed the opportunity to slow down and enjoy good company, and the odd quiet afternoon, with the air conditioner on, in front of a movie with the family.
The ongoing requirement to repair our fences continues. On one of the cooler mornings, The youngest helper and I replaced a small section of fence. A few days later the whole family helped run hinge joint around a small 2 acre triangle paddock near the house. This will allow us to bring the sheep into this paddock and hopefully contain them! It was pretty hot work, and it times tempers flared due to Hangry boys. The result will be a handy little paddock allowing us to keep a closer eye on the sheep.
We have been lucky to experience a couple of summer storms this season. With a bit of moisture in the soil, I thought we would get away with planting out some acorns that had germinated. These oaks are Daimyo Oaks (Quercus dentata), also known as Japanese Emperor Oak or Korean Oak. These trees have large leaves, and are part of our plan that should see the Rock Farm renamed “Oak Park” one day. The oaks draw nutrient from deep in the ground, provide shade thus retaining moisture, and the leaves return the nutrient and organic matter to the soil when they fall and mulch.
Then it was back onto the serious business of making tree houses in some existing trees!
The summer storms often provide short bursts of heavy rain that mostly runs off. Any technique that increases the amount of rainfall captured into the soil is to be tried. One technique, pioneered by P.A. Yeomans and recommended by Pat Coleby is to rip lines along contours, opening up the soil allowing moisture to penetrate deep into the ground.
Our last property (the original Rock Farm) had deep rip lines put in by the previous owner. These lines trapped moisture and were clearly the greenest part of the property on satellite images. Trees benefited from being planted in the rip lines, as their roots could seek out the moisture stored in the cracks of the rocks.
Unfortunately the old single tyne ripper wasn’t up to the tough Ordovician Shale that underlies our fragile slopes. Only a few lines into it, a large rock twisted the tyne worse than before. Despite several attempts to gain leverage, I was unable to straighten the tyne.
The good news was that leaning against a tree, forgotten by owners previous, a double tyne ripper was leaning against a tree. It had been there so long, a tree root had grown over a tyne, vastly complicating my efforts to put the ripper on the tractor. It took my wife and I a good hour to eventually get the ripper fitted… but it was worth the effort!
And the result was success! Using a piece of clear pipe filled with water and threaded on the ROPS, I was able to get a reasonably accurate contour ripped across the slope of the paddock. It took a little while for me to get the draft and raise response where I was happy with it, but the old tractor performed flawlessly. The rip line was only 150mm deep – but that was deeper than the soil and into the rock layer. Now I just need it to rain to test the theory.
The school holidays have also had the boys learning some other important lessons. They are still young enough to play in the dirt – and were enthusiastically making tracks for matchbox cars when they received last call to come in and have a shower before bed.
The final throw of the digger resulted in an unmistakable gurgle and their construction rapidly filled with water. After years of observing me, they correctly recognised that they hadn’t found a fresh water aquifer just below the surface, but rather a poly pipe. I took some solace from the fact that the rapidly appearing water was our non-potable water supply to our garden and toilets… not our precious house supply that runs under the ground only a couple of metres away.
The good news was that it wasn’t my fault. So I had if not enthusiastic, then certainly guilty helpers to:
- run to the dam and isolate the pump (long way down hill)
- run to the tank and isolate the tank (long way up hill)
- dig a much larger hole to expose the pipe
- measure the diameter to check if we had the right fittings (which we did – good planning Dad)
- carefully cut the damaged section of pipe out with a hacksaw
- replace damaged section with a joiner fitting
- run back to pump and turn it on
- run back to tank and turn it on
- watch and check for leaks
It was the quickest I had ever replaced a pipe – and I barely raised a sweat… In fact I did a lot of not much except pointing, and asking for tools, most of which live in my pipe repair tub.
As the sun set and the light faded, we turned the water on and held our breath. It worked! All in all it was a pretty good outcome – the kids learned some important skills, and I realised how grown up they are becoming.