My last post was about managing weeds during the spring growth. Unfortunately the hoped for spring rain didn’t eventuate. Even as parts of the State are getting some of their best rain in months, we have managed a paltry 3mm. It is better than nothing, and might give the clover the break it needs to set seed!
Our property has an interesting arrangement where the road access comes in and past the house to the paddocks. Like all roadsides / laneways, this is rarely grazed, because of the inconvenience to traffic. But it was the only part of the property the cattle hadn’t grazed and every bit of grass is precious at the moment.
Several fences needed to be fixed up, and water provided before I could contemplate putting the cattle in the laneway. Even so, I still used temporary electric fence to allow the cattle right up to the garden – a treat they all enjoyed!
In fact the cattle were so happy to have access to the special grass near the garden, they hardly noticed me sneaking in close for a Selfie!
School holidays is an exciting time for the kids. As they get bigger, their commitments grow too, with sporting camps keeping them busy for the first week. These are fantastic opportunities for them, but I also love seeing them get creative in the shed. Of course the dog is in the thick of it too, causing equal measures of delight and frustration at her efforts to help.
Speaking of the shed, our region is often windy in Spring. Very windy. And the old shed was looking a little worse for wear, with several sheets of corrugated iron roofing sheets looking like they wanted to lift off. The shed is of unknown vintage, and in the fine tradition of most Australian farms, it has been made of second hand recycled iron and fencing wire. It gives it a certain charm, but would be a huge inconvenience if it was actually destroyed. A little bit of preventative maintenance was in order.
The advantage of so much sunny weather meant that I was able to replace some of the very loose nails with new roofing screws, without the risk of rain making the roof treacherous. I fabricated some brackets and purchased a harness to provide some comfort whilst working aloft.
And then there was the garden. Neglected and in need of a bit (lot) of work, it was time to get the chain saw out for some ‘pruning’. With a garden that is around 2.5 acres, there are always trees to prune. The black wheelbarrow made the carting of the firewood size pieces a lot more manageable.
All the other branches and lighter sticks and twigs were thrown on the back of Myrtle – the big red truck, and taken down to the paddocks. We found a remarkable sight. Under similar tree prunings, deposited in the paddock six months earlier, we found growing lush, green grass and clover.
I think there are three possible reasons for this (or a combination of all three).
- As the branches break down, they release nutrient into the soil,
- The branches provide a physical barrier stopping kangaroos from eating the grass (this paddock has no other stock in it), or
- The branches provide shade to the grass, making what little moisture there is more effective.
Thus encouraged, we will keep putting our prunings into the gullies and over bare soil. It is great to see positive results for our efforts.
On the Rock Farm, the only place where the grass has been most prolific in its growth is the garden. With the current season being so dry, it feels such a crime to simply cut the grass with a mower. But, the grass was getting long, and the snakes are coming out. So I got right onto my next job, and brought in the one horse power self propelled mower model. Best part is, you don’t have to sit on it as it gets to work – but that can be the best bit!