The past few weeks have been a little hectic on the Rock Farm. Calving and lambing has continued. Life has also continued, with some big weeks at work and school keeping us all away from the farm for longer than we would like.
First an update on Daisy. Daisy and Mum have rejoined the herd and have settled in well. Daisy has put on weight and enjoys her fellow bovine’s company more than humans now. This is not a bad thing – although I miss our cuddles. She might never do particularly well, but we are really happy that both Daisy and mum are now in good health.
With the long-term forecast for spring rainfall looking grim, we elected to sell off our older ewes and ram. With such a small herd of 13 to take to the sale-yards, it was hardly worth organising a truck. With a bit of time, I soon had the sheep loaded in the horse-float and passed the lambs out the tailgate back into the yards. The irony was on the day I took the sheep to the sale yards, we received our first decent rainfall in months, a delightful 22mm. It was a rare and unusual problem to be loading the sheep in the rain!
Selling the ewes solved a couple of problems. It reduced the immediate pressure on the feed, and also stopped me having to retrieve them from the neighbour’s on a regular frequency. I must admit I felt a little dwarfed by all the trucks and semi-trailers unloading stock at the yards, but the stock agent showed good humour and helped me pen the sheep.
The lambs are now enjoying some time near the house, where we are supplementing their feed. They are becoming much quieter, hopefully making them easy to handle as they grow.
The little bit of rain was welcome. It settled the dust, but more importantly it turned the grass green. We are still feeding, whilst we wait for the grass to grow.
If you do want to find water though – I would highly recommend hiring a Kanga. Jimmy and his marvellous machine have an amazing ability to find water pipes. After successfully digging holes for our carport foundation, we decided to make the most of his visit with a couple of extra post holes for gate posts…. it was the last hole (it always is) when the auger came up with water pouring out of the hole…
Needless to say I am becoming pretty handy at repairing poly pipe. Thankfully we were able to quickly isolate the water, which was non-potable water from dam. Around the house it is used for flushing the loo and around the garden. This water also supplies all the stock troughs – so I needed to get it repaired relatively quickly. It has highlighted the need to install a valve so I can isolate the garden water quickly in case of future mishaps!
After repairing the pipe, it was time to head back with the girls.
I have moved them onto the flat country. Whilst there isn’t much feed here yet, I am just rotating them through the smaller paddocks. I hope they will keep on-top of the Barley grass, but it all seems to be going to seed early as it struggles with the dry season.
Time will tell what the season holds. In the meantime, we have developed a plan for the cattle which we will start to implement in a few weeks. For now though, it is lovely to see a little water flowing in the creek again.
One thought on “The hint of rain”
Thanks Hamalochonline great to see the farm coming along!