These school holidays are fast upon us – and the weather this weekend is bitterly cold and windy. Perfect weather to be inside and making the most of the new heating system on the Rock Farm (see – keeping-warm-part-1).
We have enjoyed a nice break from the endless running around chasing kid’s school, sport and music commitments. Instead we have caught up with family and friends and tried hard to do nothing… It has been a pleasant change to actually read a novel.
But not all has been quiet. An almost constant whirring and beeping has been coming from the the study nook. It has been emanating from the latest tool on the Rock Farm. Unlike the majority of tools here that are old style and barely changed over the past 50 years or so, this one comes from the other end of the spectrum. It is our very own 3D printer.
The (not so) Little Fisherman received a box of parts a while ago, and eagerly started putting them together. They were remarkably complex, and I started to feel a little bewildered as he tackled his task with enthusiasm. Disaster struck though, when he lost the instructions when he didn’t shut down his computer properly. A few months of emails back and forth requesting another copy of the assembly instructions with Chinese manufacturer who mis-understood our requests entirely. Eventually we gave up and took a punt plugging in the last couple of wires. Thankfully Murphy was on our side that day, and the printer came alive and successfully printed its calibration cube.
Since then, I have been amazed at the progress. Within a week, the (not so) Little Fisherman had stopped downloading designs from the internet and had started making his own creations. Initially plenty of catapults, trebuchets and other mini-weapons of mass destruction were crafted by the printer as we learnt it’s capabilities.
And then I thought it was about time to start harnessing this unbridled enthusiasm for good… and asked the (not so) Little Fisherman to design and make for me a new gear knob for the tractor. A simple round knob was required, with a central hole to fit over the metal linkage. It had been long missing from the tractor, but proved to be a good exercise, particularly in the precision required for measurement. We used a vernier caliper to measure the precise diameter for the central hole, and it fit perfectly. I was very impressed.
And I quickly put the tractor to work tidying up the garden.
But the next challenge is proving to be a bit more difficult. Somehow I had also managed to break the centrifugal dust bowl filter… The (not so) Little Fisherman initially baulked at the size and shape of the problem – but has managed to come up with a design.
He has spent a fair bit of time measuring and even trialled the construction of a torus of revolution for the base to ensure he had it exactly right. Don’t worry – I had to google the name of it when he told me he had made a torus!
The only problem is that this is a particularly large and complex build. The print time will be around 55 hours – if only I can hold my breath that long, I can’t wait to see what the little machine will produce!
The best part is that I am in good hands. I now have a talented young man who is learning skills to repair old and worn out items with good-as-new parts. I feel excited to be part of this new technology that will allow us to repair many more items previously considered beyond saving. This cannot help but contribute to reducing our footprint on this precious planet.
A large part of our choice in living on the Rock Farm was to give our children a well rounded education, with academic opportunity tempered with responsibility to care for the land and livestock. It is a constant juggling act, balancing the competing interests of their schooling, our work and their real education of life and how they can make a difference in this world. Giving a child opportunities to pursue their interests is the wish of most parents and I am immensely proud of this fellow and his first steps into the future.